The Lady of the North

Kustaava relaxed in the bath. The threat of war with Germany was gone, and as such she had been able to give up the position as Marshal and return to the palace in Helsinki. She sighed and leaned back, letting the warm water soak her skin as she stared at the ceiling. It was quiet for once, something she enjoyed. Her husband Topias was watching over the twins. She smiled to herself. It was nice that they were so energetic, even though it was tiring.

She finally exited the tub, and the maids rushed in to help dry her off. She laughed to herself. It was funny how used to this she was. After she was dried the maids put on her robe, and finally she headed out into the rooms of the palace. She took a seat and picked up a newspaper, aiming to find out what was the talk of the town since she had left.

“Taava, how are you doing?” She looked up and smiled at her father who had entered the room she was sitting in. He smiled back and took a seat across from her. “I never thought I would be both jealous of you and afraid for you at the same time, but here I am.”

She laughed. “Dad, you knew very well that I would be fine. Though I can’t say you did me any favors. What even were you thinking?” She shook a finger at him. “You are too old to be playing soldier.”

“You know that’s not true,” he responded, winking at her. “Gustaf fought a war in his late seventies.”

“Yes, but he was a soldier, not a monarch,” she replied, raising an eyebrow at him. “You have never fought a battle in your life.”

“Bah, I needed to do it. If my Taava is going to risk her life for the nation, an old fart like me can get involved.” He leaned back in his chair. “Besides it’s not like there was any real threat. The Germans were annihilated before the war even truly began.”

She nodded in agreement. “Well thankfully we didn’t have to lose our own citizens in the war. Though I am worried about the diplomacy happening around the world.” She sighed. “But that’s not my job. And if it becomes my job, something has gone horribly wrong.”