Another Attempt

While the fall of the Nazis and the return of France to the civilized nations had made Europe immeasurably safer, there was still one major dispute left lingering that could bring about the fall of Pax Europa. Gibraltar. While the Athenian Federation at large and Empress Athanasia personally had tried and failed to bring about a compromise between London and Madrid before, there was now hope that a change of government on the British Isles meant that another attempt could be made. The shift to the Celtic focus rather than the English one was promising, especially now that the Iberian embargoes against Gibraltar had been going on for a few months. Meanwhile the Athenian ambassador in Madrid had reported that the Iberian queen was very much intent on ending the conflict once and for all. With that a message would be sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Dublin.

Foreign Minister,

I write to you as an agent of peace in the interest of bringing about a final resolution to the lingering conflicts on the European continent. As you well know the Iberian Union has long attempted to regain control of the territory of Gibraltar. While recent attempts have unfortunately failed I hope that the change in both your own government and the Iberian Union may open a road to peace.

It is in line with this that I hereby extend an invitation to your head of state or government to meet with myself and the Queen of Spain and Portugal in Athens to discuss and achieve a roadmap to a compromise that serves the interests of both the Celtic and Iberian people, historically two sister peoples after all.

Yours,
Her Imperial Highness Athanasia, Empress of the Athenian Federation, Queen of Macedon, Lady Protector of the Spartan League, Chosen of the Amazonian Free State, Speaker of Zeus, Avatar of Athena

@jeff744

Eoghan read the message over and pondered it for a minute before asking his aide to find his Prime Minister. He never could find her when needed and she left her phone at her desk more often than not.

About 20 minutes later his door opened and Pippa entered and sat on his couch and opened one of the magazines on his table, it had something to do with tourism.

“The Athenians want us to talk about Gibraltar”

Pippa turned a page “again? that piece of rock is a headache”

Eoghan sighed “you know how the Continentals are”

Pippa looked up “fine, but I’m not going”

“yes, you are”

“no, I’m not”

“yes”

“no, I have plans”

Eoghan stared at her “what plans?”

“Important ones”

Eoghan sighed “you’re going to another book release, aren’t you?”

Pippa looked away “What? no…I wouldn’t ignore state work for a book release”

“is the author there?”

“…maybe”

Eoghan sighed again “Well I don’t want to go either, we’ll do rock, paper, scissors, loser goes”

An hour later the response arrived in Athens:

Her Imperial Highness Athanasia, Empress of the Athenian Federation, Queen of Macedon, Lady Protector of the Spartan League, Chosen of the Amazonian Free State, Speaker of Zeus, Avatar of Athena,

I am happy to accept your invitation to meet with yourself and the Queen of Spain and Portugal in Athens.

Pippa Dunn
Prime Minister of the Celtic Republic